Do you know that all major websites share ONE thing in common…
When I say major websites, I mean the big boys… Spotify, Netflix, Dropbox, and Facebook.
Before I dive deep into the commonalities, I want you to look at these above-fold sections:
Here’s the secret…They figured this 3 things
1. Clear Explanation Of Their Value Proposition
Make no mistakes…This is not a coincidence
- Spotify: Music For Everyone. Millions of Songs
- Dropbox: Work Comes Together. Organize the team’s content. Reduce Distractions
- Netflix: All of Netflix
- Facebook: Facebook helps you connect and share
These brands understood the fact that people will leave the site if they don’t get it at first sight.
By clearly writing your value proposition, it tells the visitor
“Hey, this is what we do and here’s how you can benefit from it”
This opens up that “Story Gap” that makes people go “Aha!”
And this will make them want to do the next thing, which is…
2. Direct Call To Action
Next, these sites have direct Call-To-Action Button(s).
When I say direct, I mean clear, tangible action that they want us to take.
In case you can’t see it
- Spotify: Get Spotify Free
- Dropbox: Try FREE for 30 Days
- Netflix: Try 30 Days Free
- Facebook: Create A New Account
Notice how they don’t write Discover More, Learn more & Scroll Down stuff here.
By being clear with your CTA, you are telling people…
“Hey, if you like what we do, do this”
Boom, you get a new registration, new sign up, new leads
3. Contrasting Color for the Buttons
Last but not least, the colors of the buttons…
Notice how you just instinctively know where to click?
I know some of you may be thinking, “This is common sense, Fitri”.
…but clear color contrast of the buttons with the background is the secret…
Not seeing a clear action button causes uncertainty in users and slows down their tasks…
This means confusion and this will cause them to not do what you want them to do and exit your site
[TASK] Show your website to a stranger and try to answer these 3 questions:
- Do people understand what are you offering (Product/Service)?
- Do you know why is it special?
- Do you know what to do next?
If the answer is no, don’t worry. You can change them.
Now, some of you probably are thinking…”Why do I need to do this, Fitri?”
Let me tell you why:
- If you are a speaker, the moment you step on a stage, people will start investigating you. If they don’t get the value you bring to the table, that’s another lost sales there
- If you run paid ads to your site, you have just wasted another marketing dollar
- If you’re doing some sort of content marketing, your prospects will check on you when that one piece of content goes viral. And if your website is not convincing, you just lost another potential sale
And those are just some of the reasons why…
So go and take what’s yours…
If you need some examples, you can have a look at the websites we built at Website Artisan, and draw inspiration from there.